The “Me Too” Syndrome – Fur Boom
|During the late 70’s early 80’s this country witnessed an economic demand within the trapping industry and fur trade, better known as the “Fur Boom”. It was a time of great prosperity among trappers and hunters not to mention dealers in trapping supplies and yes, “scent manufacturers”. This was a time when a trapper could make more money in a month than others did working a whole year. This was a time that brought out the best in people and also the worst. Once many trappers saw that raccoons were selling for around $40 and red fox started trading for $80 and beaver for $100, thievery abounded and landowner permissions were high jacked. Dealers of trapping supplies came out of the woodwork and so-called scent manufacturers abounded. So began the “Me Too Syndrome”.|
|While you could hold on one hand the number of experienced hunting and trapping lure/scent manufacturers back then, the same holds true today. Only those few are dedicated to bringing you, the valued customer, Result Proven Attractors and supplies backed by years and years of dedicated research and development. We weren’t the companies looking for that fast buck or self-recognition. Nor were we the farmers looking to raise animals for fur, horns, trophies, meat, or penned hunts, all the while hoping that their urine/scent sales would pay for animal feed.|
With the growing demand on trappers for fur, urine collectors came out in droves making outrageous claims and empty promises. The “Me Too” were happy to take advantage of the everyday trappers and sportsmen, promising magic in a bottle, and selling you their urine based “Me Too” fox trapping lure, their “Me Too” coyote trapping lure and, yes, even their “Me Too” deer lure. Urine products began to take on all sorts of promises from the inexperienced scent collectors in various forms, such as, gels and powders, fresh or frozen, meat fed or apple fed, condensed, bacteria free, amber bottled, etc…. If that was not enough, they began to copy names, types, and product lines of the experienced scent manufacturers. They played on words in their advertisements trying to closely align their product mixes with those of the experienced, only to add confusion to the buying public.
Well, everyone knows that all good things come to an end. Fur prices dipped to an all time low and fur demand went out the window. Left behind were the “Me Too” urine collectors. They were forced to sell or pour down the drain those magic potions. If they were lucky some poor soul came along and purchased the company. Guess who survived? Yep, those hand full of dedicated, experienced lure manufacturers, which were out developing trapping products and capturing the moment. Even today you can find those very same lure manufacturers working behind the scenes to supply consistent quality and result proven products. The experienced lure manufacturers were out spending time and money on research/product development and not on fancy advertisements, or quick fix trapping supplies.
You see lure making is an art attempted by many but understood by few. It takes years of dedication, money, research and time to truly formulate attractors from scratch that standup to the test and be worthy of your purchase. (We are not talking about plain bottled animal urine either.) “Consistency Counts” and at Kishel’s we knew that some thirty years ago.
Why Kishel’s Quality Hunting and Trapping Lures
At Kishel’s we aren’t going to tell you about our state of the art urine collection facilities, formulating processes, bottling applications, or how many Deer, Elk, Fox, Coyotes, etc. we own. We are not a petting farm nor do we offer canned hunts. We don’t sell horns for profit, or meat to restaurants. Animals aren’t raised for trophies or studs for service. At Kishel’s we believe none of that really matters. What really matters is our product proven track record over the years and the consistent quality of our lures, scents and supplies. We know our products have stood the test of time and have proven it by their results. We believe that when you make a purchase from us, you not only are purchasing a result proven quality product, but a piece of Kishel’s backed by years of dedicated research and development. Kishel’s is a complete, quality driven company that specializes in advanced formulated hunting and trapping scent stimulants.
- Did you know that in 1997/98 Eric York Traveled to the country of Chile, on behalf of our US Department of Interior, to Study and capture the Darwin Fox. It is to be considered the rarest canine in the world! Not only did he need to trap and radio collar this elusive creature, he had to do so, using live box traps! Everyone who has trapped canines knows how difficult it can be, let alone trying to lure one into a box trap! Especially this rarest of the rarest canines. We are proud to say that Eric completed his quest successfully and it was Kishel’s Lures that were used.
- Our Products in 2006 went To Pakistan to catch and collar snow leopards for the International Snow Leopard Trust. The study was over 6 weeks in Northwest Pakistan (Chitral Gol National Park) setting snares to radio-collar snow leopards to learn movements and biology of these big cats. The work was at the western end of the Himalayas, just south of the Hindu Kush Range. The study was conducted at about 6500-10,000 feet but the mountain range was about 21,000, very rugged and steep country. The study was successful and our products where the exclusive choice to catch these big elusive cats.
- Here is a quick list of some other species caught for research using Kishel’s Scents & Lures.
USA:coyotes, red fox, gray fox, bobcat, lynx, fisher, marten, badger, striped skunk, spotted skunk, raccoons, deer, blacktail, sheep.Chile:Culpeo fox, South American gray fox, Darwin’s fox, guigna, hognosed skunk.Nepal:Fishing cat, small Indian civet, palm civet, Indian mongoose.Pakistan: Snow Leopards
Kishel’s Mink Gland Lure enters the New Zealand Journal of Zoology, 2006, Volume 33: pg 267-271 in the Hebridean Mink Project (HMP) conducted in the Western Isles of Scotland for the eradication of mink. The Hebridean Mink Project (HMP) started in 2001 and was a very ambitious mink project which covers 305,000 hectares and is the largest single species eradication ever attempted.
Over a two year period on the efficiencies of fish bait vs. Kishel’s Mink Gland Lure…the results were analyzed to assess the effects on mink captures…the study concluded that 4 mink were successfully trapped using Kishel’s Mink Gland Lure to every 1 mink trapped with fish bait. Our product continues to be the cornerstone for the success of this project.
- In The fall of 1999 Robert Kenyon headed to the woods doused in our Goldenrod Cover Scent. Moments later he moved in undetected and harvested New York States 1999 record buck taken with the gun.
- While these are only but a few of many testimonials, you’re welcome to tour our web site, and see first hand the overwhelming success people are having using our products. No Hype, no Gimmicks, no “Johnny Come Lately”. Just result proven attractors for Hunters, Trappers, and Photographers.
- At Kishel’s we’re setting the standard for all others to follow. From Non synthetic, Non Urine, Buck Lures that won’t spoil with age, to Cover Scents & Scent Eliminators that do what we say, to blended Trapping Lures aged to perfection, High Quality Trapping Supplies, and last but not least – clean, fresh, and uncut Animal Urines from daily collections. We are not only confident that you’ll find our products the most Advanced, most Effective and most Consistent on the market today, but you’ll always find Kishel’s leading the way.
In Closing, we would ask when purchasing a hunting or trapping scent/lure product, which is your trusted source? Where do you feel most confident that the product you purchase has a proven track record and proven results? When you head to those woods to harvest that once in a lifetime buck try your hand at trapping, or try to capture that up close and personal wildlife picture, WHAT BRAND WILL YOU BE USING?
…Make the Professional’s Choice…